On Saturday, March 20, 2010, Mission Graduates will be hosting its First Annual Parent Partner Program Summit at Mission High School. The day will be devoted to learning, sharing, and building a strong Mission community voice from the standpoint of parents, as active members of their educational communities.Some of the topics to be addressed include:
- Understanding school’s systems, and the system of education in the U.S. (roles and expectations placed on the students and the parents)
- Available resources within & without the schools to support parents when facing challenging life circumstances
- Importance of parent participation in school governance. How does it all work anyway? Can I really change my school’s environment?
- Peer education on best practices to keep children happy and motivated to learn
- Tools, best practices, and approaches to discipline children (to be implemented at home and in school)
- How to prepare for, attend, and successfully finish college
- Essential Advocacy practices to address needs and/or injustices at school, the District, and the State.
Stay tuned for more updates, and know that you, your school site, and/or program are cordially invited to partake of this opportunity to network and learn valuable skills and tools to increase parental engagement in the Mission neighborhood.
For more information/Para mas informacion:
Ario Salazar 415.864.5205 firstname.lastname@example.org