We’re thrilled to announce that the Quest Foundation has issued a $27,000 matching grant to Mission Graduates’ award-winning Tutoring Center program! To date, we’ve successfully raised close to $17,000 but still need an additional $10,000 in order to meet the match. If you give today, your contribution will be matched dollar for dollar and will help us to preserve core services and pilot new college awareness activities at this award-winning program.
Take a look at how Mission Graduates’ Tutoring Center has recently responded to a variety of needs in the community:
- When we learned that the School District had discontinued summer school for kids from our community, we stepped-up and actually grew our summer program by designing a dynamic 5-week, 8-hour/day curriculum for 120 K-5th students who couldn’t afford to experience summer learning loss.
- When we learned that the School District would be rolling-out a new platform allowing parents to monitor their children’s assignments online, we realized that our parents first needed to learn to operate a computer. Collaborating with community partners, we were able to offer an eight-week computer literacy training program for 22 eager parents—all of whom reported feeling more empowered to engage with their children’s educational experience.
- In strategizing ways to overcome the lack of college-going role models for kids in the Mission, we piloted the College Bound Ambassador program last year in which 10 college-bound students from our high school programs tutor, mentor and encourage Tutoring Center children to stay focused on becoming the “first in family” to make it to college.
Here are a few examples of how your donation can support the Tutoring Center this year:
- $100 provides field trips for 20 kids to places like Crissy Field, Lake Anza or Baker Beach
- $250 helps match 20 kids with College Pen Pals with whom our kids share letters throughout the year, culminating in a Spring “meet and greet” in the dormitories at UC Berkeley
- $500 brings 100 children on campus tours to CAL, USF or San Francisco State
In spite of its strong results, the Tutoring Center is threatened by the fact that Mission Graduates’ contracts with the City of San Francisco have decreased by 44% since last year alone. As a result, your support is more critical than ever to its continued success.
P.S. Give today and we’ll send you a pair of tickets to the popular “Green Festival” on November 6th/7th, courtesy of our neighbors at Global Exchange!