About Mission Graduates:
Mission Graduates is a nonprofit organization that increases the number of K-12 students in San Francisco’s Mission District who are prepared for and complete a college education.
Mission Graduates’ programs span K-12, and include both in-school and after-school academic support, peer education programming, recreation, nutrition, teen pregnancy prevention, outdoor trips and college awareness programming.
Description of position:
Mission Graduates is seeking a detail oriented Development/Communications Intern to assist the Development Director with Food for Thought (largest annual signature event), help further our Business Council, and create an alumni database. The ideal intern will volunteer between 8-15 hours per week on a flexible schedule and work on a variety of projects, including PR, marketing, and special event logistics. This is a great opportunity for the right candidate that is seeking to gain experience working in the nonprofit sector.
We want to provide you with a rewarding volunteer experience and will work hard to accommodate your learning objectives.
• Assist Development Director with general correspondence, communications and other information gathering assignments.
• Work with Development Director on the 2nd annual Food for Thought ranging from volunteer recruitment, to restaurant acquisition, to corporate sponsorship solicitation.
• Assist with donor management database; enter donor history data, generate thank you letters and annual appeal letters, etc.
• Maintain funder prospect worksheets; update with new prospect information, track report deadlines, monitor submission due dates, etc.
• Help create a robust communications plan ranging from newsletters to website to media pitches.
• Create a “College Alumni Database”.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Graduated or currently enrolled in a college program focused on Nonprofit Administration, Sociology, Health, Public Policy, Education, Communications, Marketing, or Business Administration.
• Desire to work in a youth development organization with a commitment to social justice and equal opportunity.
• Can demonstrate appropriate work experience that required a similar skill-set
• Proficient using Microsoft Office and Excel
• Must have high attention to detail.
• Go getter, “can do” personality.
• 1-2 years experience working in an office environment.
• Ability to work independently and self-motivate.
• Positive outlook, energy, and attitude. Sense of humor is critical.
• Some working knowledge of popular database software (Salesforce.com)
• Experience working with urban youth populations.
• Comfortable working in a small, non-profit environment.
• Enjoys special events AND research/administrative work
We would love the right candidate to join our team immediately! Ideally, we would like a one year commitment.
This is a volunteer internship position.
Mission Graduates is located at 16th and Mission, just steps from the best burritos and shops in San Francisco. Our office environment is young, fun and casual. We are all extremely committed to our work and expect excellence and follow-through.
Please email short letter of interest and resume to email@example.com by July 16, 2010. Please put “Intern” in the subject line. The internship is slated to begin in July/August. Feel free to email with any further questions, but please no phone calls.
Mission Graduates strongly encourages and seeks applications from people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender communities.
3040 16th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415) 864-5205 phone
(415) 864-0916 fax